- Continuing the tradition, we held two well attended and enjoyable Independence Day celebrations in Bryan’s Heritage Park;
- We produced two successful Christmas strolls in the Eastside Historical District and Heritage Park;
- We provided stewardship of Heritage Park by finalizing a master plan, providing necessary maintenance, and entering into a relationship with Blaine Brezina to landscape and plant trees in partial fulfillment of his Eagle Scout project;
- Working in harmony with the Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History, we participated in two Boonville Day Living History Fairs and created a special exhibit of Astin Family clothing;
- We held a Victorian tea at the Clary House and at Fannin School we had an “Antique Sideshow,” Brazos County’s answer to the successful PBS program Antiques Roadshow;
- We helped host the 2012 Arbor Day ceremony in Heritage Park;
- With the help of the Duncum Family, we placed a community marker designating the site of the old Boonville jail;
- We created Heritage Brazos, our electronic newsletter;
- In addition to the regular annual meetings in February, we held two fall meetings at the Matthew Winsper Knobel Memorial Gazebo in the Park;
- And we supported several organizations whose mission was to preserve the history of Brazos County.
All this could not have been accomplished without the hard work of those persons who served on the Executive Committee over the past two years, to whom I am extremely grateful.
I have thoroughly enjoyed serving as your President but it is now time for someone else to assume this responsibility.
Please attend the Society’s Annual Membership Meeting on Sunday, February 24, 2013, at 2:00 PM at the Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History, at which time we will elect new officers. If you are interested in serving in any capacity, please come to the meeting. If you have any questions about serving as an officer, please feel free to call me at 979-229-2468 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I look forward to seeing you on February 24. Please come and get acquainted with other members of the Society.
Nat Hilliard, President