Last month the Brazos Heritage Society instituted a monthly photo contest, in which readers of Heritage Brazos are asked to identify a structure or a location in Brazos County. The announcement for this initial contest may be viewed at: http://heritagebrazos.blogspot.com/2012/03/where-in-brazos-county.html.
The winner of this inaugural contest is Tom McDonald, who successfully identified the location of the building in Cawthon, Texas, in Southern Brazos County just a few miles from Allenfarm. The building in the photograph was once a railroad station, and later served as a saloon and still later as a general store. This building is presently owned by Will Terrell.
According to The Handbook of Texas Online:
Cawthon is a small rural community on Farm Road 159 four miles south of Millican and seventeen miles south of Bryan in southern Brazos County. The site was within the lands of Stephen F. Austin’s colony and was settled before the Civil War. A townsite did not develop, however, until after the International and Great Northern Railroad was built from Navasota to Hearne in the early 1900s. The town was named for early settler Will Cawthon. A post office operated at the community from 1912 to 1956. In 1925 the town had a population of twenty-five, two general stores, a railroad express and telegraph agent, a physician, a butcher, and a blacksmith. The community had a store and a population of ten in 1940. The 1948 county highway map indicated a church, a school, two businesses, and several scattered dwellings at Cawthon. By 1964 the community reported a population of seventy-five and no businesses. Cawthon in 1990 had scattered farm buildings, the old International and Great Northern Depot, and an estimated seventy-five residents. The population remained the same in 2000. [Christina L. Gray, “CAWTHON, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed March 10, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association].
A new “Where in Brazos County?” contest will be posted within the week.